Monday, March 8, 2010

The Greatest of These is Love

Pediatric Intensive Care

Definition
An intensive care unit, or ICU, is a specialized section of a hospital that provides comprehensive and continuous care for persons who are critically ill and who can benefit from treatment.

Purpose
The purpose of the intensive care unit (ICU) is simple even though the practice is complex. Healthcare professionals who work in the ICU or rotate through it during their training provide around-the-clock intensive monitoring and treatment of patients seven days a week. Patients are generally admitted to an ICU if they are likely to benefit from the level of care provided. Intensive care has been shown to benefit patients who are severely ill and medically unstable—that is, they have a potentially life-threatening disease or disorder.

Although the criteria for admission to an ICU are somewhat controversial—excluding patients who are either too well or too sick to benefit from intensive care—there are four recommended priorities that intensivists (specialists in critical care medicine) use to decide this question. These priorities include:

Critically ill patients in a medically unstable state who require an intensive level of care (monitoring and treatment).
Patients requiring intensive monitoring who may also require emergency interventions.
Patients who are medically unstable or critically ill and who do not have much chance for recovery due to the severity of their illness or traumatic injury.
Patients who are generally not eligible for ICU admission because they are not expected to survive. Patients in this fourth category require the approval of the director of the ICU program before admission.
ICU care requires a multidisciplinary team that consists of but is not limited to intensivists (clinicians who specialize in critical illness care); pharmacists and nurses; respiratory care therapists; and other medical consultants from a broad range of specialties including surgery, pediatrics, and anesthesiology. The ideal ICU will have a team representing as many as 31 different health care professionals and practitioners who assist in patient evaluation and treatment. The intensivist will provide treatment management, diagnosis, interventions, and individualized care for each patient recovering from severe illness.
Reference to www.answers.com/topic/intensive-care-medicine

Peds ICU is where I work in the hospital. I thought it was fitting to show a written example of what type of patients I take care of for a better understanding. There is no way to sugar coat the fact that what I do is very taxing, frustrating, heartbreaking and very rewarding. I not only get to take care of children - I get to care for the entire family. The past few months have been especially draining dealing with sick, sick children and sadly, death. Over the weekend, a long chat with a good friend has my mind refreshed. I am grateful to have such people in my life and I praise God for them. I was referenced to Phillippians 4:7 which says, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Jesus Christ." Immediately, I thought to myself- who am I to doubt that God put me exactly where I am for a reason. I will have a peace in Jesus. He sustains me. His strength is perfect in my weakness. With that, I put my best foot forward to care for my patients and be a living witness for Jesus not only to the children but to their families. Satan is on the prowl destroying everyone that he can - and if that means taking someone's child away- he'll do it. God puts us in special places to do special things and we may not always agree but I know we better be obedient.

I pray that I am available Lord, to be used by you each day. Guide me, and lead me in what to say and do. May my words and actions be a witness that You are living in me. To someone lonely, help me be a friend. To those with heavy burdens, help me meet their needs. I do not want fame or fortune - I only pray that You use me to glorify Your name. I know that I do not have much to offer, but I will give You my all. Guide me to be what you want me to be.

I was reading on love and the nursing practice and I was impressed by what Roberta L. Messner said,
" Though I articulate the contemporary jargon of nursing, If I have not understanding that touches the heartbeat of my patients, I only generate chatter.

Though I boast of diplomas, awards and publications, and my skills reflect the wonderment of technology, If I have not mastered the gift of compassion, My endeavors are hallow.

Though I impress my colleagues with my intellectual prowess and lofty idealism, If I offer not the instrument of self, I serve my patients with mere activity.

Though I devote my very life to the profession of nursing and forfeit personal desires, If I become cynical, detached and fatigued to the point of indifference, My energy is expended in futility.

Though I integrate the art and science of nursing, translate research into clinical practice, and achieve professional notoriety, If I do not notice wounded hearts and broken dreams, My mission is not fulfilled.

I may be competent, dependable, efficient, but if I fail to communicate the language of love, I practice nursing in vain.

Faith, hope and love- these are all craving of the human spirit- but the greatest of these is love."


Saying goodbye to a good friend is never easy! Jeannie we'll miss you!



Good friends are a blessing! I praise God for them!



No comments:

Post a Comment