Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Night You Were Chosen

Have you ever wondered what it was like the night you were conceived?  I hadn't either, until I came across a stunning description that biologists on the campus of Andrews University assured me is true for all of us.  Your parents came together -- whether they stayed together, ever really got together, or were strangers doesn't change this incredible scenario for any of us -- and father deposited half a billion tiny male reproductive cells, or sperm, inside mother.  That's right -- 500,000,000 sperm, each with the solitary mission to find the single ovum, mother's egg, and penetrate it.  And only one of those sperm could make you you -- which meant that it had to "out swim" the 499,999,999 other sperm in that race for life!

In the words of Anthony DeStefano: "Half a billion potential human beings, each one completely different from you, could have been born in the place of you had not that one, unique sperm cell fertilized that one, unique ovum.  In a very real sense, half a billion other potential human beings had to forgo life to make way for you."  And then comes his stunning conclusion: "From a strictly statistical point of view, your presence on this planet is a miracle.  At the very dawn of your life you had to overcome overwhelming odds -- odds higher than any you will ever have to face in any other situation.  No matter what you may think of yourself now, ... no matter what ills may befall you in life, no matter what suffering you may be forced to endure, no matter what family or money problems you may eventually have to face, it is imperative that you understand this: You came into this world as a champion" (Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To, pp. 167, 168).

Do you know why?  Because you were chosen!  It is the shining truth of this new year -- God chose you.  Any other reproductive cell combination, and we'd have gotten your sister instead!  God chose you the night you were conceived.

And He has chosen you now to make this uncharted journey with Him.  " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future' " (Jer. 29:11, NIV).  And when the One who chose us before we were born promises to journey with us all the days we live, can you imagine our destination!

-DKN

Pretty profound to think about exactly how "chosen" we are.  Our creator chose us before we were even conceived!  Not only did he chose us, He loved us before we even knew what love was.  Hallelujah!

Last week was GYC's - Generation. Youth. Christ. - annual conference in Phoenix, Arizona.  "At The Cross" was the theme - and the few things that I left with were this:

Lean Hard.   Lean hard on God.  Give Him my whole life - trust without a doubt that He is carrying my future.  Deny myself, submit all to Him because Jesus denied Himself for me.  

As I enter this new year I will be more intentional about leaning hard.  Leaning hard on God; the creator and Savior that promises to never let me fall.

Hallelujah!

As I was looking over my photos from GYC, I realized I didn't take many at all...
Here is what I have to share.

Wednesday!
On the way to the Convention Center...
I stopped for breakfast with Laurel! 
I don't have time for caffeinated beverages! 
Green Smoothies get the job done!

Killing time with selfies...
Just minutes before midnight on New Year's Eve!


Thursday!
Candid shot of me during the evening plenary. 
(Journal and all) 

Friday!
Outreach... 
Always the best part of GYC!
Sharing Jesus - Saving Lives!

Sabbath! 
Divine Service stage time... 
Mission Spotlight!
Mission Matters... Share Jesus... Change lives!

Lean Hard Friends! 
Until next time! 

Ahhh! Luckily, I have great friends that take photos when I slack! Brad Van Sant... Thank you for these pearls that I can share as a "late add" to my blog post! 

Enjoy! 


Catching up with my old Phoenix crew with the addition of Daniella! 

Getting lost trying to find Jacqueline's car...
We run into Brad and Jacqui

Brad sat this one out! 
Girl shot!

Post GYC with my Phoenix Crew
Thai lunch...
YUM!



Sherman... is an Adventist...
Sherman and Sasha are dating... 
It's amazing what happens in the 8 months I've been gone!

Until next time... really. 

:-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment