"Don't worry about relationships."
Wait a second. Re-reading the note.
"Don't worry about relationships"
Yep, I read it correctly, and there were no margin notes! How could this be? Why did I think that this was journal worthy? You guessed it, relationships are all anyone talks about. At the supermarket magazine covers are filled with catchy titles such as, "How To Win His Heart," "First Date Rules," and "10 Signs That Says She's Into You."
Shooot, if you want to get real, I think about them a lot too. In fact, your close family/friends do as well. Pretend you haven't spoken with a friend for a while, or you're on the phone with your parents, or a sibling, the question spills out, "So, (pause) how's your romantic life?" I usually nonchalantly laugh in an attempt to kill any awkwardness and reply, "Non-existent, per baseline." As the conversation continues it usually ends up somewhere like this, "Well I know this really nice guy and he's single, and..."
Thanks, but spare me please!
As I read a little further in my notes I realized the point was to not focus on "getting in" or "being in" a relationship. The focus of my journal entry was to "build friendships" while worrying less about "romantic relationships".
Finally something that made a little sense. If we focus on building friendships we won't have to worry about the fact that we aren't in a romantic relationship. We won't have to worry about things that don't work out the way we want/plan.
I believe we serve a creative God, and one day in the midst of building friendships we might just wake up and realize we want to spend the rest of our lives with our best friend.
Which might I add, would be super sweet!
This past week I've been thinking on the seasons of life, specifically friendships. I look back on my life realizing how drastically it changes from year to year. People come and people go. Dynamics change. Some friends stay close and others grow distant. I have no idea where God will take my life a year from now or who will remain close and who will become distant. I could worry about that for days but instead I'm reminded of...
Phillipians 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Life could take me here...
or Philadelphia.
Stay Tuned!


No comments:
Post a Comment